Tuesday 9 October 2012

Finish the Lunar Landscape

Well I am posting after approximately 10 days, that's because I was busy making my landscape. Look at how the basic structure is:


The special lighting effects is done through Instagram(Rise). Now actually I made a landscape before that looked much worse and broke because it lacked stability. Here's the mistake I did, I tried to add too many things at once. I tried to do everything at one go and that does not work.

The most reliable method is by dividing your landscape into components:

Lets first divide it into the base structure ( I'll be explaining this structure in my current post):


THE TOOLS YOU WILL NEED:
We need a Hammer to push in the nails and make our base stable
While hammering nails, you might come under a situation where the piece of nail has been bent. At such times you need a plier to pull the nails out.
Saw is needed to cut wood, I suggest taking a saw for rent, I borrowed a saw from my friend's father who is a proffessional model maker
Well this is basic
Nails are a key component. Do not expect a wooden structure to be stable without lots of nails.
This piece of wood is needed to shape up the edges of ramps

Now after this the first thing to do is to make the basic structure without ramps. 

In order to do this first create a basis in GOOGLE SKETCHUP USING RIGHT ANGLED TRIANGLES AND RECTANGLES ONLY.[No parallelograms or anything else]

Make the basis in view style, WireFrame. In wirefame you can see all the hidden lines.



That is how wireframe should look like. I will soon keep my basic structure in wireframe through 3D WAREHOUSE.

The second is cutting the wood and attaching it.

I formulated a theory to attach the wood:

THINK THAT YOU ARE ATTACHING THE FOLLOWING:

New wood + New wood attachment: First Glue the two pieces of New Wood. Ask your teammate to hold the pieces steadily and beat in the nails. Beat at least 2 and you should feel it to be pretty sturdy.

New Wood + Ply Wood: Once again glue the pieces but now wait till it is sturdy enough with glue. Keep 1 nail and choose a good location ( probably at the center) to not disrupt the nails.

Anything + Normal Wood: Do not bother with glue and just hit many nails head on.

Now finally if you have managed to create everything separately ( the components like a cuboid piece of wood as the start zone)  cut a piece of wood 6'3" * 6'3"( Let's call this the base wood). On this piece of wood draw 5 rows and 5 columns of equal length. 
(This should be similar to making guidelines in SKETCHUP). Now then you would have created 5*5 number of square blocks. 

Each of the square blocks are ~ 15"*15".

Now carefully take each piece and put it on the base of the wooden block you just cut. First glue the pieces to the NEW WOOD upfront. After this tilt the structure upside down and mark areas where your wood is with contact with the base wood. Drive in nails down to those areas. We will be providing detailed pictures in the next post. If you did this successfully, Lift your landscape vertically, and none of the attached components should fall.

Finally all you have left is the ramps. In order to do this, First cut a piece of wood of appropriate length. Now take the cuboid piece of wood and scrape the bottom edges of the wood to get something like this:


Pay attention to the piece of wood that makes the other piece of wood stand up. That is how you should get it. ( I DID NOT USE A LIGHT TENT FOR THIS PICTURE).

I hope the picture satisfies the need. You need to create triangular blocks and attach them to rectangular pieces of wood. You should be able to create all the ramps with this and thus complete your basic structure. By this week I will be completing the later phases of my landscape which I will be describing later. 

HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL AND BE UPDATED BY FOLLOWING MY BLOG

ATOMIC ROBOT





 



No comments: